Prepping food for storage- Shrimp - Piranha-Fury Forums - Page 2

Piranha-Fury Forums: Prepping food for storage- Shrimp - Piranha-Fury Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prepping food for storage- Shrimp How to make 3 bucks in shrimp feed your fish for a month. Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

• Obsessed
  • View gallery
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

what you could do is grind all the different types of meat into a puree. and some jellaton sheets then your fish get a variety every day. also adding tablets is easy this way.

• Fanatic

why is salt, and more specifically iodine bad for piranhas? and do you or anyone have a source?

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:06 PM (#23) User is offline   Googz 

• Interested
  • Group: Junior Members

Could i use pre frozen shrimp that are boiled and deshelled?

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:26 AM (#24) User is offline   EZmoney 

• []D [] []\/[] []D [] []\[] "
  • Group: Members

Great post... I love the idea of vitamin soaking the food!

Two things that I would do different tho:

1. I like to lay the pieces of fish on a large tray to freeze them individually. After they are mostly frozen, then I toss them all into a ziplock bag together. This makes it very easy to pick out 1, 2, or however many pieces that you want to feed the fishy.

2. Avoid using the microwave at all costs, for all food... even your own! The microwaves of the machine will actually destroy all nutrients that are present in the food. Next time you are using the microwave, remember that you are really 'nuking the food'.
Posted ImagePosted Image

What is best in life?
To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:54 AM (#25) User is offline   PELIGROSO PYGO 

• Addicted
  • Interests:Chopping Vegetables
  • Current Piranhas: 3x Pygo Nattereri 2x Cariba 1x Piraya

thanks for the step by step process. this is going to benefit me for now on :thumbsup:

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:47 PM (#26) User is offline   Restricted- 

• Obsessed

would you be able to soak it in melafix???
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 05 September 2008 - 07:43 PM (#27) User is offline   Restricted- 

• Obsessed

could you soak it in melafix?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:00 PM (#28) User is offline   Trigga 

• Wavy
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Anything but this fuckin place
  • Current Piranhas: Ur moma

why would you? all melafix does it help with fin damage its more of a medicine that anything.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:08 PM (#29) User is offline   Restricted- 

• Obsessed

View PostTrigga, on Sep 8 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

why would you? all melafix does it help with fin damage its more of a medicine that anything.

because i have a big tank and it costs alot to get alot of melafix when i need it
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:30 PM (#30) User is offline   Trigga 

• Wavy
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Anything but this fuckin place
  • Current Piranhas: Ur moma

View Postpiranhafatality, on Sep 8 2008, 08:08 PM, said:

View PostTrigga, on Sep 8 2008, 06:00 PM, said:

because i have a big tank and it costs alot to get alot of melafix when i need it

ok but why would you feed your fish melafix? Thats you eating calmine lotion...its meant for exterior ailments, its not nutritious

This post has been edited by Trigga: 29 September 2008 - 02:31 PM

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:45 PM (#31) User is offline   notaverage 

• Guinness eyes
  • View gallery
  • Interests:My daughter, wife, family,soccer, Eagles Football, Good Beer, and my fish tanks...
  • Current Piranhas: 9 inch Mac Guyana Rhom, Cichlids, Rainbow and tetra tanks....Maybe adding a Sanch to the collection??

:)

Its tea tree oil man...I wouldnt do that.
Thats why there are hospital tanks.
Throw them in a 10 gal...you use TON less meds when and if needed.

Funny i took pics of my step by step food prep last night...just didnt get to post it yet.
If anyone cares anyway.
If you dont like it go on the internet and complain!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image Member of the Month, September 2008

Bawb2u
"WTF? I'm no Mixalot but damn, if her ass was any smaller she would owe ass."

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:31 PM (#32) User is offline   dschoter05 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 5- 6"-7" redbellies

i am having trouble findin the vitamins that i should soak the shrimp. in any directions as to where i can find it?
PS3 username - DrtyD187
COD 4, rainbow 6 vegas 2, GTA IV
Posted Image
Posted Image x5
125 gal. 5 Pygo. Natts.
55 gal. empty
20 and 10 gal. empty (for fry if i ever get them to breed)

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:35 PM (#33) User is offline   AKSkirmish 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • Group: Senior Member

View Postdschoter05, on Oct 14 2008, 06:31 PM, said:

i am having trouble findin the vitamins that i should soak the shrimp. in any directions as to where i can find it?

Big als' or dr foster and smith should carry them....

Posted 14 October 2008 - 09:44 PM (#34) User is offline   dschoter05 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 5- 6"-7" redbellies

View PostAKSkirmish, on Oct 14 2008, 10:35 PM, said:

View Postdschoter05, on Oct 14 2008, 06:31 PM, said:

Big als' or dr foster and smith should carry them....

found it on foster and smith but says its for saltwater does that matter???
PS3 username - DrtyD187
COD 4, rainbow 6 vegas 2, GTA IV
Posted Image
Posted Image x5
125 gal. 5 Pygo. Natts.
55 gal. empty
20 and 10 gal. empty (for fry if i ever get them to breed)

• Psychotic

Great post, may try this. :thumbsup:

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:32 AM (#36) User is offline   ju5tin95 

• Addicted

awesome 411, just went out looking for Zoe locally that stuff is hard to find and its pricey, I paid like 18 bucks.. and im letting the shrimp soak as we speak :p
JailHouse ART : My Online Portfolio

Posted Image x8
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Interested

View PostBlackSunshine, on Aug 20 2007, 01:52 AM, said:

OK kids. Time for a how to from uncle sunshine. I know this may seem obvious to some of you but alot of people don't ever consider how much money,effort and time this will save them when it comes to feeding their predators. (not like the ones on Dateline)

Anyways here we go.

What you want to do is head down to your local supermarket and find your fresh seafood section. take a gander at their selection of tiger shrimp. also labeled as thai. shrimp or Malaysian shrimp. They are about 3" long and come raw with shell on. Sometimes you can also find them de-shelled (this is handy if you're a lazy bastard. Ideally you want to find some that are Uncooked and SALT FREE. Or unsalted. This isn't always possible but you might search around your local markets and see whats available. for sure you want them to be iodine free. This is why you want to stay away from the ones that are in the frozen section. Anyway, depending on where you are you can get a pound or so of these shrimp for around 3-4 bucks.

Once you get your shrimp home, break out a plate, a Med-Lg bowl a nice sharp knife. (I emphasize sharp) And a 4"-6" rubbermaid or ziplock container.

If the shrimp are shell-on take this time to de-shell them. some people would feed shell on. I don't and i think leaving the shells on would make the next step harder if not impossible. You do lose some of the nutrients that are in the shrimp but that can be fixed. We will get to that a little later.

Once you have your pile of de-shelled shrimp cut them down to bite sized pieces. I chop mind down to about a half an inch. and then toss them in a bowl.
Posted Image

Now that you have all your shrimp all chopped up. I recommend purchasing a bottle of Kent Zoe Freshwater.
Posted Image
This is a great vitamin supplement that does wonders for the coloring and health of your fish. you can add it direct to your water or to make it most cost effective you want to soak your food in it. This is what we will do here. Pour in enough to cover all the shrimp. you can add a little water to help deluite it but not too much t. let it sit in the Zoe for maybe 20 min. you want it to absorb as much of it as possible. the shrimp should take on a green tint. this will let you know that it is absorbed.

Next take your shrimp and toss a small amount into a sandwich baggie. (notice the green tint. I was almost out of zoe so didn't get a good soak yours should be much greener)

Posted Image

You only want it to be enough so that when you flatten it all down it is only half way up the bag and no more then 1 chunk thick. This is a very important. 1 chunk thick.
Now depending on how big the container you have is you may skip this part. If your baggie flattened out fits lengthwise and allows you to place your baggie in flat then cool. If not follow along
If you have a small container then you want to probably split the portions in the baggie up so that you can fold the bag and keep both portions flat.
Posted Image

Now fold close your baggie, keeping the food flat and put it in your container
Posted Image

Repeat until all your shrimp is in the container. now find it a home in your freezer.
Posted Image

FEEDING TIME

Ok so you're food is prepped and now its time to feed the fish.
So break out the box and open a package of shrimp.
Posted Image

Depending on how many fish you're feeding and how big they are will determine how much YOU need to break off. I'm feeding an arowana, snakehead, bichir,convict and flowerhorn. So I break off about 2" sq of shrimp. (this is why keeping it 1 layer thick is important. any bigger and its a pain to break off pieces.)

Posted Image

Since I add vitamins to my shrimp I don't want to run them under water to thaw them out. So I put my shrimp in a little paper cup and defrost it in the microwave.
Posted Image
Make sure you are using the Thaw setting or else you will cook the shrimp. Again since your microwave is different then mine your thawing times may vary. for me I defrost on pwr lv 3 for 10-15 sec.
Posted Image

this leaves the shrimp slightly frozen. but a couple sec's in the tank takes care of that.
Posted Image

Now toss it in the tank and let the fish enjoy.
Posted Image

I like the detail; What I did was purchase 200 large grey shrimp from my father in-laws food distribution company about $8. I separated them into 2 large freezer bags, 1 in my in my kitchen freezer and 1 in my garage freezer. I take 1 shrimp about 4x's a week a place it in a cup with cold water for about 11/2 to 2 hours. I de-shell it and cut it into 5 or 6 peices and feed my 5 2 month old rb's one chunk at a time. If they take no interest in any of the chunks after 5 to 10 min (usually the 5th or 6th peice) I remove it. One thing I do disagree with is microwaving the shrimp, it can remove numerous nutrients. I would suggest defrosting in cold water.

• Interested

instead of putting it in the microwave cant u just throw it in a cup and put some fish tank water and let it thaw? then u can just pour the the water and food in the tank. this is what i do with frozen brine shrimp but instead of pouring it in the tank i use a turkey baser to feed them.

• Interested

I did the same thing with talapia

• Infatuated

great place to pick up kent freshwater zoe http://www.thefind.c...?query=kent+zoe

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language