Prepping food for storage- Shrimp - Piranha-Fury Forums

Piranha-Fury Forums: Prepping food for storage- Shrimp - Piranha-Fury Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prepping food for storage- Shrimp How to make 3 bucks in shrimp feed your fish for a month. Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

Posted 20 August 2007 - 01:52 AM (#1) User is offline   BlackSunshine 

• I will bite your face!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Fish stuff. Right now I'm on a shrimp mission. No predators

OK kids. Time for a how to from uncle sunshine. I know this may seem obvious to some of you but alot of people don't ever consider how much money,effort and time this will save them when it comes to feeding their predators. (not like the ones on Dateline)

Anyways here we go.

What you want to do is head down to your local supermarket and find your fresh seafood section. take a gander at their selection of tiger shrimp. also labeled as thai. shrimp or Malaysian shrimp. They are about 3" long and come raw with shell on. Sometimes you can also find them de-shelled (this is handy if you're a lazy bastard. Ideally you want to find some that are Uncooked and SALT FREE. Or unsalted. This isn't always possible but you might search around your local markets and see whats available. for sure you want them to be iodine free. This is why you want to stay away from the ones that are in the frozen section. Anyway, depending on where you are you can get a pound or so of these shrimp for around 3-4 bucks.

Once you get your shrimp home, break out a plate, a Med-Lg bowl a nice sharp knife. (I emphasize sharp) And a 4"-6" rubbermaid or ziplock container.

If the shrimp are shell-on take this time to de-shell them. some people would feed shell on. I don't and i think leaving the shells on would make the next step harder if not impossible. You do lose some of the nutrients that are in the shrimp but that can be fixed. We will get to that a little later.

Once you have your pile of de-shelled shrimp cut them down to bite sized pieces. I chop mind down to about a half an inch. and then toss them in a bowl.
Posted Image

Now that you have all your shrimp all chopped up. I recommend purchasing a bottle of Kent Zoe Freshwater.
Posted Image
This is a great vitamin supplement that does wonders for the coloring and health of your fish. you can add it direct to your water or to make it most cost effective you want to soak your food in it. This is what we will do here. Pour in enough to cover all the shrimp. you can add a little water to help deluite it but not too much t. let it sit in the Zoe for maybe 20 min. you want it to absorb as much of it as possible. the shrimp should take on a green tint. this will let you know that it is absorbed.

Next take your shrimp and toss a small amount into a sandwich baggie. (notice the green tint. I was almost out of zoe so didn't get a good soak yours should be much greener)

Posted Image

You only want it to be enough so that when you flatten it all down it is only half way up the bag and no more then 1 chunk thick. This is a very important. 1 chunk thick.
Now depending on how big the container you have is you may skip this part. If your baggie flattened out fits lengthwise and allows you to place your baggie in flat then cool. If not follow along
If you have a small container then you want to probably split the portions in the baggie up so that you can fold the bag and keep both portions flat.
Posted Image

Now fold close your baggie, keeping the food flat and put it in your container
Posted Image

Repeat until all your shrimp is in the container. now find it a home in your freezer.
Posted Image

FEEDING TIME

Ok so you're food is prepped and now its time to feed the fish.
So break out the box and open a package of shrimp.
Posted Image

Depending on how many fish you're feeding and how big they are will determine how much YOU need to break off. I'm feeding an arowana, snakehead, bichir,convict and flowerhorn. So I break off about 2" sq of shrimp. (this is why keeping it 1 layer thick is important. any bigger and its a pain to break off pieces.)

Posted Image

Since I add vitamins to my shrimp I don't want to run them under water to thaw them out. So I put my shrimp in a little paper cup and defrost it in the microwave.
Posted Image
Make sure you are using the Thaw setting or else you will cook the shrimp. Again since your microwave is different then mine your thawing times may vary. for me I defrost on pwr lv 3 for 10-15 sec.
Posted Image

this leaves the shrimp slightly frozen. but a couple sec's in the tank takes care of that.
Posted Image

Now toss it in the tank and let the fish enjoy.
Posted Image
Pow

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:48 AM (#2) User is offline   Coldfire 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

Very nice step by step BS!

"not like the ones on Dateline)"
:brow: :rofl:

The only thing that I would change would be to defrost the strimp in cold water. By using the microwave it will cook the shrimp a bit. Other than that, solid DYI instructions.

:gringringrin:
Knowledge is Power

Posted Image Member of the Month, April 2007

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:34 AM (#3) User is offline   FishermanCanada 

• Obsessed
  • Interests:Fisherman Canada is a movement to make people aware of the over fishing happening in our lakes. We want their to be fish in our waters for many decades to come. Think of our Kids. Catch and Release
  • Current Piranhas: mac shoal

great post!
Main Site (FISHERMAN CANADA)
http://www.Fisherman.ca
Reviews Site (FISHERMAN CANADA LODGE REVIEWS)
http://www.LodgeReviews.ca
Fisherman Canada Forum
http://www.Fisherman.ca/forum

Posted Image

• Addicted
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

thats a great idea that i think i'm going to try

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:43 PM (#5) User is offline   BlackSunshine 

• I will bite your face!
  • View gallery

View PostColdfire, on Aug 20 2007, 04:48 AM, said:

:rofl: :rofl:

The only thing that I would change would be to defrost the strimp in cold water. By using the microwave it will cook the shrimp a bit. Other than that, solid DYI instructions.

:rockon:

Nope dosen't cook the shrimp at all. Thats why its on defrost and for only a few seconds. At that level for that duration the Micro barely has enough time to even warm up. and again you cannot rinse food that has been presoaked in vit's because you will wash it away.
Pow

Posted 20 August 2007 - 04:50 PM (#6) User is offline   ___ 

• Institutionalized
  • View gallery
  • Current Piranhas: 1-- 7" Inch Serrasalmus Maculatus *FLUFFY*

great ideal.... might try it myself
72gal Bow Front
Awaiting Cycle/Plants/Stock

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image
http://www.piranha-f...ry-merchandise/ <--- Piranha fury decals "In Stores Now"
8" Serrasalmus Maculatus *FLUFFY* *R*I*P*

Posted 21 August 2007 - 05:48 AM (#7) User is offline   Coldfire 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

View PostBlackSunshine, on Aug 20 2007, 05:43 PM, said:

View PostColdfire, on Aug 20 2007, 04:48 AM, said:

:rofl: :rofl:

:wootwoot:

Nope dosen't cook the shrimp at all. Thats why its on defrost and for only a few seconds. At that level for that duration the Micro barely has enough time to even warm up. and again you cannot rinse food that has been presoaked in vit's because you will wash it away.

Ahh, good point. I did not think about that. :wootwoot:
Knowledge is Power

Posted Image Member of the Month, April 2007

• Infatuated

I wanna thank you so much for sharing this recipe, my fish love it. it was a little hard to find the zoe but everythingb else was a piece of cake. only thing different I did was let my shrip soak over nightin the fridge so it would really take on a dark tint. thanks again. one more thing do you knw of any other recipes?

Posted 06 September 2007 - 05:03 AM (#9) User is offline   nameless 

• Obsessed
  • Interests:Spearfishing
  • Current Piranhas: 3 P. Cariba + 2 P. Piraya + 1 S. Serrulatus

Thank you for the great info...
Posted Image Picture of the Month, March 2008Posted Image Picture of the Month, February 2007
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Baris UZMAY

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:29 AM (#10) User is offline   Tyrone5797 

• Addicted
  • Interests:Fulham FC & my Piranhas
  • Current Piranhas: 6-7" Rhom

great post! :thumbup:

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:39 AM (#11) User is offline   the_skdster 

• Fanatic
  • Interests:P's, anime, video games, an occasional game of catan.

Now why didn't I read this sooner?
Breeding Pairs for SALE! clickie me!!!

Kaizoku_4_Life
135gallon. 72x18x24 Two Breeding RB Pairs. 7-9"
75gallon. 48x18x21 Third Breeding RB Pair. 7-8"
30gallon Super-Long. 48x12x12 EMPTY
29gallon Tall Eclipse. 24x12x24 Hospital Tank. a few cons in their to keep it cycled.
10gallon Standard. 2nd Hospital Tank. a few cons in their to keep it cycled.
Posted Image

• Interested

lol this is great bc i have the same microwave :lmao:

Posted 20 January 2008 - 10:00 PM (#13) User is offline   Mattones 

• Serrasalmus elongatus
  • View gallery

I'll be trying this soon.:rofl:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted 23 January 2008 - 08:21 PM (#14) User is offline   StryfeMP 

• Fanatic
  • View gallery

I still don't know how to make 3 bucks in shrimp last me a month though...

very informative nonetheless.
Posted Image

• Interested

I posted this in another post, but I think its applicable here. I got the ideas from the initial post, LOVE IT!!!

Something I did when my two RBs were small and eating pellets was to crack them in half with a knife blade, and then set the halves in a shotglass until they got soft. Then, they'll sink. There must be some coating on them to keep them hard and water-impenetrable, like cereal.

Now that they're bigger, I've been buying about 1/3 of a pound of every type of shrimp, white fish, and seafood. I cut the filets into small squares, marinade them in vitamins from the pet store, and then freeze them in one layer thick sheets, back in the coated paper that they came in. By now, I have about 8 different meats there, sitting upright in the freezer door. When its time to eat, I grab the first sheet, cut a strip off, and cut it into smaller pieces. Replace it towards the back of the order, keeping it naturally alternating. I have one of those little cups that they bring out extra ranch dressing from Applebee's, throw the chunks in there with the hottest water that comes out of the tap, and let it thaw. Drink a beer for about 5 minutes, and make sure the chunks are not cold, and drop them in.

Even scallops, for 1/4 pound, cost me $3.50. The sheet that it made is about 8 inches by four inches. They eat about 1/3 of an inch of that each time, so that should give me about ~30 feedings. But since they go through 8ish different foods, they always get something new, fortified with vitamins, and somtimes get the larger Hikari pellets cracked in half.

Hmmm, what types of fish...

Catfish
Meat counter, fresh Thai Tiger shrimp, shelled
Scallops
Salmon
Oyster
Tilapia
Soul
Anything else that sounded good if I was a Piranha...

• Interested

heres a idea. just float them in the tank for 20 min like a new fish. then there the same temp as the fish too.

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:47 PM (#17) User is offline   BlackSunshine 

• I will bite your face!
  • View gallery

View Postbase935, on Feb 11 2008, 04:16 PM, said:

I posted this in another post, but I think its applicable here. I got the ideas from the initial post, LOVE IT!!!

Something I did when my two RBs were small and eating pellets was to crack them in half with a knife blade, and then set the halves in a shotglass until they got soft. Then, they'll sink. There must be some coating on them to keep them hard and water-impenetrable, like cereal.

Now that they're bigger, I've been buying about 1/3 of a pound of every type of shrimp, white fish, and seafood. I cut the filets into small squares, marinade them in vitamins from the pet store, and then freeze them in one layer thick sheets, back in the coated paper that they came in. By now, I have about 8 different meats there, sitting upright in the freezer door. When its time to eat, I grab the first sheet, cut a strip off, and cut it into smaller pieces. Replace it towards the back of the order, keeping it naturally alternating. I have one of those little cups that they bring out extra ranch dressing from Applebee's, throw the chunks in there with the hottest water that comes out of the tap, and let it thaw. Drink a beer for about 5 minutes, and make sure the chunks are not cold, and drop them in.

Even scallops, for 1/4 pound, cost me $3.50. The sheet that it made is about 8 inches by four inches. They eat about 1/3 of an inch of that each time, so that should give me about ~30 feedings. But since they go through 8ish different foods, they always get something new, fortified with vitamins, and somtimes get the larger Hikari pellets cracked in half.

Hmmm, what types of fish...

Catfish
Meat counter, fresh Thai Tiger shrimp, shelled
Scallops
Salmon
Oyster
Tilapia
Soul
Anything else that sounded good if I was a Piranha...

Absoloutly!! This write up isn't to say that you can only use Shrimp. for sure mix it up. this is more of a guide to introduce an idea and then you guys can cater it to your own habits and needs.

View Postremy5405, on Feb 11 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

heres a idea. just float them in the tank for 20 min like a new fish. then there the same temp as the fish too.

Also a good idea. I have too many fish tanks and too little time to wait 20 min. I also don't think my fish would allow it to float for that kind of time.
Pow

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:59 PM (#18) User is offline   sprtslvr785 

• Obsessed
  • Interests:To many

so will this work for lake malawi cichlids? Im not even sure if they can have shrimp or not, just curious...gets boring watching them eat flakes and pellets.
106 gallon tank
Mixture of Lake Malawi cichlids

camera- Panasonic FZ20

Posted 21 February 2008 - 06:25 PM (#19) User is offline   Trigga 

• Wavy
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Anything but this fuckin place
  • Current Piranhas: Ur moma

awesome how to man thanks

• Addicted
  • View gallery

Very creative. Excellent post. This should get everyones brain cooking on new food prep.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language