• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Live feeders! A few thoughts... Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:44 PM (#41) User is offline   bigman8258 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:football and fish!

i think the occasional live feeding keeps up moral!!! "you know" master of his domain stuff,thrill of the hunt. we do have to remember carion is only part of there diet in the wild...
1 14" Serrasalmus Rhombeus
1 9" Pygocentrus Ternetzi
10 5-9" Pygocentrus Nattereri

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:57 PM (#42) User is offline   ChilDawg 

• Cannonfruit!!!1!!1!11!
  • Group: Senior Member

I don't know about that--do fish need morale boosts or is that anthropomorphism?
Posted ImageMember of the Month, July 2007
Posted ImageMember of the Month, August 2008
Posted ImageMember of the Month, August 2009

Posted Image

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:25 PM (#43) User is offline   rich russell 

• Interested
  • Group: Junior Members

i have a thought. what if you had a separate feeder tank of your own and you fed those fish anti parasite food. has anyone tried this

• Addicted
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

I think a feeder every once in a while is good for them. I have owned fish for a while and it seems it does slightly raise their aggressiveness when you feed them live food.

Posted 22 November 2006 - 10:09 AM (#45) User is offline   badman 

• Addicted
  • Interests:Just wanna raise Piranhas!!!

Wow! Mr. HAnnibal never seizes to amaze me in the least! Very good topic but How do you guys feel about shrimp or dead Smelt or Sole? Just curious cuz thats whay i feed mine now oh and Squid but they dont seem to eat it very much...anyway just a thought? But live feeders never I have taken all advice given to me on this site and I have never had a problem yet  :nod: so i :( to you all and thank you for all your great Info! :) :( :ooh:
...there is only one....BADMAN!

130 Gallon-"Box of Impending Doom"

110 Gallon

Posted Image 1x 11"
Posted Image 1x 13"
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:50 PM (#46) User is offline   ...Jay... 

• Psychotic

This is already in the saved section of the parasites and injury section. But it probably should be in here too. The last time I bought feeders this is what I found in the stomach of a bloated dead minnow. Its SOOO not worth it. Tapeworms have a ton of segments and each segment can grow into a tapeworm. So every fish that has a bite, with probably get a tapeworm.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tapeworm2.JPG

This post has been edited by Jayson745: 16 December 2006 - 07:00 AM

Posted Image

• Interested

i dont understand how you can deprive a carnivorous creature from being just that.

i own reptiles and arachnids and relatives. and live feeding is an issue there as well. some say frozen mice for snakes and only frozen. i feed live and always will my ball python is 3 now under my care and i do consider her part of the family and would be upset if she died but at the same time im not going to deprive her of nature.

i also own 2 scropions which get a steady diet of crickets but ocasionally i like to toss a grass lizard in the tank theyr hunters as well.

my centipede gets a fuzzy once n awhile.

my point is mother nature intended these animals to hunt and kill man stepped in and made them captive. now people are taken it a step further and altering theyr evolution. if your take the hunt out of the animal the next generation from that animal will have less hunt and so forth until the entire physic of the animal has changed. and they are a completly new animal all together.

there has to be a safer alternative to live food. but denying them of nature all together is wrong in my opinion

but hey im just a stupid newbie LOL

Posted 08 December 2006 - 04:13 AM (#48) User is offline   ...Jay... 

• Psychotic

in the wild piranha are more scavengers than preditors anyway.

and I'm not sure you completely understand evolution as it takes alot longer than a few generations to change an animal. Some of a group would have to have a characteristic that makes them more successful(and in turn, breed more) than the rest. Nothing is going to happen to a species because you fed it differently for a few generations.
Posted Image

• Interested

View PostJayson745, on Dec 8 2006, 05:13 AM, said:

in the wild piranha are more scavengers than preditors anyway.

and I'm not sure you completely understand evolution as it takes alot longer than a few generations to change an animal. Some of a group would have to have a characteristic that makes them more successful(and in turn, breed more) than the rest. Nothing is going to happen to a species because you fed it differently for a few generations.

im fully aware of how evolution works

its the same thing as our pinkys humans dont generally use the pinky finger and as a result it is shrinking and eventually will become non existant. its a scientific fact do the research.

its also the same of breeding aggression in dogs a pit fighting dogs puppys will be more aggressive because of the nature of the parents or taming dogs for that matter it didnt take long to domesticate dogs.

same goes for bottle feeding baby tigers theyr much more succeptable to human handling that a wild tiger because they were bottle fed by humans and have more interaction and theyr food is predead which takes the hunt out of them.

domestication doesnt take long the evolutionary change of its physic would however. but if an animal is use to being served its food on a platter so to speak within generations it will loose its will to hunt because the need is no longer there.

humans once hunted for all theyr food as well but it didnt take long for us to get use to going to the store and buying it. and as a result have lost the will to hunt our food. people just do it for sport anymore.

unless of course fish are somehow different than everything else

View PostJayson745, on Dec 6 2006, 09:50 PM, said:

This is already in the saved section of the parasites and injury section. But it probably should be in here too. The last time I bought feeders this is what I found in the stomach of a bloated dead minnow. Its SOOO not worth it. Tapeworms have a ton of segments and each segment can grow into a tapeworm. So every fish that has a bite, with probably get a tapeworm.

i just wanted to say that im not trying to argue the hazards of live feeding. just stating why i think a completly predead diet isnt the answer either and supporting my opinion.

that picture is very disturbing. tho im not quite sure which is more disturbing.

the fact you could have feed that to your fish

or that you sit around carving fish up :bowdown: j/k

This post has been edited by mullet: 08 December 2006 - 12:50 PM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:43 PM (#50) User is offline   ...Jay... 

• Psychotic

feeding doesn't change the genetics of an animal. Cats and dogs are tame because of "selective breeding" which can make changes much faster than evolution, but still has nothing to do with diet.
The babies dont know what there parents were feed and have nothing different in there attitude or genetics because of it. You can bottle feed a tiger for 10 generations, then take a newborn baby tiger and put it with wild newborn babies and it will be the same. That is all I'm going to say about it because we are derailing here. :) we will have to aggree to disagree.

and I only opened the minnow because it looked like it was going to explode. So I wanted to see if it ate itself to death, or had eggs, or what. hehehe
Posted Image

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:09 AM (#51) User is offline   nameless 

• Obsessed
  • Interests:Spearfishing
  • Current Piranhas: 3 P. Cariba + 2 P. Piraya + 1 S. Serrulatus

I feed my P.s with live feeders occasionally. Their diet mainly depends on krills, schrimp and live feeders. Below are some of my live feeding videos. I mostly put the live feeder in a small tank with full of anti-parasite medications for a while, then put them into P.'s tank. I have not lost any of my P.s. I am aware of the risk of internal parasites, and that is my choice.
This topic clearly states the risks of live breeding, and informing people about the risks. The rest, it will be choice of the P. keeper.
Posted Image Picture of the Month, March 2008Posted Image Picture of the Month, February 2007
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Baris UZMAY

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:25 PM (#52) User is offline   Demon Darko 

• Fanatic
  • Current Piranhas: DeMoN PiRaYa

View PostMr. Hannibal, on Oct 13 2006, 04:38 AM, said:

Well i've been collecting Ps since 1989 and in my humble opinion most problems with Ps begin with live feeders.
I losted some of my fish because of "uncertain" causes the first 5 years. Today i believe they died because of "unapparental" (internal) diseases/parasites (i always kept water pristine) they got from live feeders... and i've never losted a P again since i feed "dead"...
Personally i feed my Ps white meat fish fillets (different kinds) as staple and shrimp (shell on), squid and octopus as a complement for a varied diet... my Ps grow healthy and never had a problem again... :nod: !
I know live feeders are more entertaining than dead food but you should keep in mind even quarantined feeders can contain internal (unapparental) parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... Personally i won't use feeders with my Ps anymore. Their health come first... just my opinion...:nod: !

I hace recently adopted a 4" caribe who was raised on goldfish feeders and is reluctant to eat anything else. What should I do???
Posted Image

Posted 03 February 2007 - 03:20 PM (#53) User is offline   shoal king 

• Fanatic
  • View gallery

i agree with what hannibal said... but i still love to watch my p's go after some fish. so i say feed them tetra's :lmao: still get the show with much less risk.:mellow:

Posted 03 March 2007 - 01:38 PM (#54) User is offline   ICEE 

• turnup
  • Group: Troll

My P wasnt eating so i put 2 feeders in their and he ate them right away cuz i just got em

• Captivated

I breed guppies, for my piranha to eat, is this safe?

Posted 10 March 2007 - 09:17 PM (#56) User is offline   Trivium160 

• Infatuated

I haven't had P's for very long but i've had other carnivores such as redtail cats or other species of cats and triggers. To be safe you can quarentine your feeders "i like guppies, to be safer" in copper or maricine and feed your feeders "spectrum thera +a". I feed my triggers a feeder here and there but i've mainly got them on spectrum foods and their agression has not dropped. I will probably stuff shrimp with spectrum thera+a to feed my piranha's. I think that food is excellent and i use it for all 7 of my fish tanks fresh and salt.

ooohhhh another thing if your piranha's are not wanting to eat try using "extreme garlic" it helps immune system and the scent is very strong so it should get them interested.

• Interested

View PostTrivium160, on Mar 10 2007, 09:17 PM, said:

I haven't had P's for very long but i've had other carnivores such as redtail cats or other species of cats and triggers. To be safe you can quarentine your feeders "i like guppies, to be safer" in copper or maricine and feed your feeders "spectrum thera +a". I feed my triggers a feeder here and there but i've mainly got them on spectrum foods and their agression has not dropped. I will probably stuff shrimp with spectrum thera+a to feed my piranha's. I think that food is excellent and i use it for all 7 of my fish tanks fresh and salt.

ooohhhh another thing if your piranha's are not wanting to eat try using "extreme garlic" it helps immune system and the scent is very strong so it should get them interested.

I think people are missing the point. I have read on various sites feeders being minnows and goldfish are bad.
Guppies are okay. I think I looked up rosey reds and found this info.on wikipedia. But if you buy them from your LFS your always at risk. Goldfish and minnows in example rosey reds are not good. They have no nutritional value and contain parisites that you can't see. And most feeder tanks are overcrowded and are neglected and plain dirty. If you wouldn't put your fish in those tanks. I wouldn't buy fish from those tanks. I guess with my other to RBP's I had I was very lucky. They never seemed to have any problems. Fed them nothing but goldfish. Didn't know any better. But I had to give them away after a couple of years. Due to a divorce and and all. I did'nt have the net at that time. I still wonder about those fish.They seemed ok. But who knows in the long run. I am going to raise my own feeders probably guppies and mollies. For a treat only. I feed mine talapia and shrimp.Sorry for the long post.

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:32 AM (#58) User is offline   bud......weiser 

• Obsessed

i nearly cryed when i learned about the parasites that are in feeders and how it efects the piranhas :shocking:

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:28 PM (#59) User is offline   Puff 

• Serrasalmus rhombeus
  • Current Piranhas: only marine up in here

what about cardinal tetras?

im just getting back into the P game and theres a LFS that gets in cardinal tetras by the truckload. they have a huge tank with over 1000 of them. they're dirt cheap.

i was thinking of putting a bunch in with my sanchezi when i get him. dither/dinner...lol
Posted ImagePosted Image

View Postthe_w8, on May 3 2009, 09:19 PM, said:

Especially when the wind blows like a bus load of queers.

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:09 PM (#60) User is offline   wartooth 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Metal, music, film, fish.

View PostMr. Hannibal, on Oct 13 2006, 09:34 AM, said:

View Postitstheiceman, on Oct 13 2006, 11:30 AM, said:

so then what if you quarentine your feeders is it alright to feed them then? ...wouldnt quarentine take away all the diseas's?

It's is less risky but it's always possible feeders still carry unapparental parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... personally i prefer not to risk my beloved Ps... anyway it's a matter of personal choice but in my humble opinion at least you should quarantine your fish (live feeders) before feeding your Ps... :brow: !

If I kept live feeders for the occasional snack, what steps can be taken to elimate any potential hidden parasites or diseases?
Esto es un mundo donde los pájaros comen caballos.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language