• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Live feeders! A few thoughts... Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

• Infatuated
  • View gallery
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

sure crickets are ok...just make sure your P's eat them fast enough because they will get out by climbing the filter tubing or whatever wires you have comming from your tank...

...They just need to get used to the fact that they cant have live food on the reg anymore. If they are used to always eating live food and your trying to change them to other things and they wont accept it right away, lower your temp to 78 so they dont start attacking each other because they're hungry. After a few days or so they should be accepting different stuff... Stick to WHITE fish meat (tilapia, flounder, etc.) Also whole shimp(raw shell on) Clams, Squid, Octopus.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:06 PM (#22) User is offline   Mr. Hannibal 

• OPEFE
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

View Postfish lover, on Oct 13 2006, 01:00 PM, said:

thanks.. because i was feeding them pellets and shrimps lately and i noticed that there are less movements and some of my reds skip meals... but last week or so when i fed them black mollies, they were like chasing them, and devouring them in an instant... it seems to me they like feeder fish more than those foods i know that are beneficial to them...

Also, is it okay for them to be fed with crickets and other insects??

No problem with feeding insects as far they are "clean"... i mean, they are not taked from places where people use pesticides or other toxic substances... i recommend you get them from your local pet store... better safe than sorry  :laugh: !
Piranhas i have now:
(8) Pygocentrus cariba, (1) Serrasalmus rhombeus, (1) Serrasalmus irritans, (1) Pristobrycon striolatus

Piranhas i have had before:
Pygocentrus cariba, Serrasalmus rhombeus, Serrasalmus irritans, Serrasalmus eigenmanni, Serrasalmus elongatus, Serrasalmus manueli, Serrasalmus medinai, Serrasalmus neveriensis, Pristobrycon careospinus, Pristobrycon striolatus, Pristobrycon maculipinnis, Pygopristis denticulata, Catoprion mento

Posted ImagePosted Image
Member of the Month, May 2011

Catch and release is the only way to go...

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in...

• Serrasalmus spilopleura

crickets are full of nutrition...just depending on what insect you pick up  :laugh:....i would like to find a feeder that i could feed them 24/7...makes mine more lively

• Psychotic

Thanks guys

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

Thats what everyone is here for. Us to learn and to help others learn as we go.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:31 PM (#26) User is offline   Wide_Eyed_Wanderer 

• piegewscentrusss purrriyaaaawww
  • Group: Troll

I dont really agree.

But I do vote against store bought feeders.

I feed live every saturday but my source is babies from my pregnant mollies when they gave birth a few months ago.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:45 PM (#27) User is offline   Rough996 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Piranha keeping, Football (American style), fast cars, fast motorcycles, sexy ladies and my son.
  • Current Piranhas: 3 - 9"+ RBPs and 1 - 16" black rhom

View PostFishking320, on Oct 13 2006, 01:28 PM, said:

Thats what everyone is here for. Us to learn and to help others learn as we go.

I've learned quite a bit (I do more reading than posting). My experience with live food is to avoid the "DNA challenged" feeders. Stock can sometimes be thinned - genetically speaking, which makes the animals more susceptible to disease and the like. Therefore, when feeding live animals (fish or whatever), it may pay to be more selective... and pay more for the meal. Avoid the 10 or more for a dollar type of feeders. By example, I've fed everything from bullfrog tadpoles to pinky mice (don't recommend that one) to earthworms (nightcrawlers) and ghost shrimp. They do have a regular diet of "dead" foods, but they are always anxious for that live feeding. As soon as it hits the water (whatever), it has a matter of seconds!!!

We're all hobbiest to a degree, but the key is to remember what their diet would consist of in real life. Bugs are a big part of a fish's (almost all freshwater species) diet. Live earthworms provide great protien and of course, being fish and all, they LOVE em.

Trial and error, I'd say, but just don't try the "risky" live species. In fact, I'd go so far as to say as long as you're avoiding fatty flesh, it's less risky for your P to get a "fish killing" parasite from a non-fish species.
125 gal with a 16" BLACK RHOM.

54 gal corner tank with 1 - 6" blood red parrot cichlid, 2 - 4" African origin cichlids (unsure of exact species - one is yellow, the other is blue).

• Psychotic

View PostMr. Hannibal, on Oct 13 2006, 09:38 AM, said:

Well i've been collecting Ps since 1989 and in my humble opinion most problems with Ps begin with live feeders.
I losted some of my fish because of "uncertain" causes the first 5 years. Today i believe they died because of "unapparental" (internal) diseases/parasites (i always kept water pristine) they got from live feeders... and i've never losted a P again since i feed "dead"...
Personally i feed my Ps white meat fish fillets (different kinds) as staple and shrimp (shell on), squid and octopus as a complement for a varied diet... my Ps grow healthy and never had a problem again...:mellow: !
I know live feeders are more entertaining than dead food but you should keep in mind even quarantined feeders can contain internal (unapparental) parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... Personally i won't use feeders with my Ps anymore. Their health come first... just my opinion...:nod: !

that is a great point...when i intialy started the hobby i did it for the amazement <sp? of seeing the feeding but when that wore off i started feeding dead...i still occasionally throw a live feeder in but i primarily stick to dead

• Psychotic

the reason why i ask about feeding insects to Ps is because when i fed my flowerhorn before with a cricket, the next day he lost his balance, in a way that he cant swim like the other fish does, and before he died, he was swimming upside down...

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:07 PM (#30) User is offline   Rough996 

• Addicted
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Piranha keeping, Football (American style), fast cars, fast motorcycles, sexy ladies and my son.
  • Current Piranhas: 3 - 9"+ RBPs and 1 - 16" black rhom

View Postfish lover, on Oct 13 2006, 02:01 PM, said:

the reason why i ask about feeding insects to Ps is because when i fed my flowerhorn before with a cricket, the next day he lost his balance, in a way that he cant swim like the other fish does, and before he died, he was swimming upside down...

Sorry about your loss, but that may not have been directly related to the cricket - UNLESS you got him from your yard or any land that has pesticides in the soil. STORE bought is best way - unless you KNOW that there are not pesticides and fertilizers in the soil.
125 gal with a 16" BLACK RHOM.

54 gal corner tank with 1 - 6" blood red parrot cichlid, 2 - 4" African origin cichlids (unsure of exact species - one is yellow, the other is blue).

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

i doubt that had anything to do with the cricket but who knows.

• Serrasalmus spilopleura

View Postcheck_ya_self, on Oct 13 2006, 01:31 PM, said:

I dont really agree.

But I do vote against store bought feeders.

I feed live every saturday but my source is babies from my pregnant mollies when they gave birth a few months ago.

what if i bought guppy's that bread would that be alright to feed my p's?

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:39 PM (#33) User is offline   taylorhedrich 

• "Pygocentrus cariba"

Nice topic Daniel, I hope people pay attention to it. :)

*Topic Moved to Feeding and Nutrition Forum*
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageMember of the Month, June/July 2006

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:46 PM (#34) User is offline   Uncle Rico 

• Obsessed

It seems that if you breed your own feeders (convict cichlids for example) they will be a product of your own aquarium husbandry. And if they do in fact have disease, then it would say something about the quality of your aquarium husbandry and it seems that your piranhas will sooner or later get something anyway with maintenance like that. If you practice good maintenance then your feeders shoud reflect that and wouldn't give your ps anything anyway.
100 gallon acrylic planted tank

• Interested

i feed my pirnahs 10 goldfish everyday but they leave it 2 night time 2 eat wierd

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:32 AM (#36) User is offline   thebluyak 

• Psychotic

View PostnemoRIDAH, on Oct 14 2006, 12:53 AM, said:

i feed my pirnahs 10 goldfish everyday but they leave it 2 night time 2 eat wierd

I think you mis understood the point of the thread, the thread wasnt to encourage goldfish it was to tell you why you should shy away from them. If you must feed live breed convicts or mollies. Goldfish are not healthy for P's and of course you want them to be vibrant and happy
Posted Image
http://massiveaggression.com ~~~ THE number one spot to get quality P's!

Posted ImagePicture of the Month, October POTM 2006

BRING BACK BULLSNAKE

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:30 PM (#37) User is offline   Wide_Eyed_Wanderer 

• piegewscentrusss purrriyaaaawww
  • Group: Troll

Yep, and i was saying I only feed live one time in the week.(Home Bred Mollies)

The rest of the week I am rotating my white fish staples.

And Nemo Ridah I think you have managed to do the exact opposite of what good piranha keepers do.

• Interested

i'm new to owning p's and i was wondering......... wen i bought my Serrasalmus Sanchezi the workers at the pet store insisted i feed it live feeder fish..... now that i see this i am a bit uneasy because i have already fed it a couple....... is there anything i can do to help prevent any disease and keep it healthy from now on besides changing its diet...... also, legally, do you think there is anything i could do to the people at the store because i was looking forward to having a healthy fish

• Fanatic

My P's are coming on the 25th, what size tank do I need to breed convicts? I'm just going to put it under the bar and throw a tiny power filter on it for a breeding tank/quarantine

Posted 19 October 2006 - 02:39 PM (#40) User is offline   primetime3wise 

• Pygocentrus nattereri
  • Current Piranhas: S. Rhombeus, S. Spilopleura

i'm gonna play devil's advocate.

certain fish that i've had, the clown knife being the most apparent, ONLY will eat feeders, and i've kept them before, years ago, for quite a while. i know others that have had huge specimens, over 2 feet, that never fed them anything but live feeders.

also, in nature p's rely heavily on the fins of other fish.

PT
Posted Image
Posted Image P.Nattereri
Posted Image S.Maculatus

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox