• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Live feeders! A few thoughts... Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:38 AM (#1) User is offline   Mr. Hannibal 

• OPEFE
  • View gallery
  • Group: Senior Member

Well i've been collecting Ps since 1989 and in my humble opinion most problems with Ps begin with live feeders.
I losted some of my fish because of "uncertain" causes the first 5 years. Today i believe they died because of "unapparental" (internal) diseases/parasites (i always kept water pristine) they got from live feeders... and i've never losted a P again since i feed "dead"...
Personally i feed my Ps white meat fish fillets (different kinds) as staple and shrimp (shell on), squid and octopus as a complement for a varied diet... my Ps grow healthy and never had a problem again... :ooh: !
I know live feeders are more entertaining than dead food but you should keep in mind even quarantined feeders can contain internal (unapparental) parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... Personally i won't use feeders with my Ps anymore. Their health come first... just my opinion...:) !
Piranhas i have now:
(8) Pygocentrus cariba, (1) Serrasalmus rhombeus, (1) Serrasalmus irritans, (1) Pristobrycon striolatus

Piranhas i have had before:
Pygocentrus cariba, Serrasalmus rhombeus, Serrasalmus irritans, Serrasalmus eigenmanni, Serrasalmus elongatus, Serrasalmus manueli, Serrasalmus medinai, Serrasalmus neveriensis, Pristobrycon careospinus, Pristobrycon striolatus, Pristobrycon maculipinnis, Pygopristis denticulata, Catoprion mento

Posted ImagePosted Image
Member of the Month, May 2011

Catch and release is the only way to go...

Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in...

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

• Psychotic
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

This is of course the correct and wise practise.

It is sad that people buy Piranhas to entertain themselves by deliberately killing other fishes. And mostly fishes that some other hobbyists take good care of. No good.

Safeguard measures is totally another issue. Using live feeders one risks the health of his Piranhas too, like Hannibal said.

Harry

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:50 AM (#3) User is offline   Coldfire 

• Pygocentrus piraya
  • View gallery

View Postharrykaa, on Oct 13 2006, 06:12 AM, said:

This is of course the correct and wise practise.

It is sad that people buy Piranhas to entertain themselves by deliberately killing other fishes. And mostly fishes that some other hobbyists take good care of. No good.

Safeguard measures is totally another issue. Using live feeders one risks the health of his Piranhas too, like Hannibal said.

Harry

Sad, but very true.

Back in 2003 on my first time around with piranha (reds and spilos separate tanks of course) I feed live feeders, and as Mr. Hannibal said several died from uncertain reasons. This time I decided prior to receiving them that they would be fed only prepared foods in lieu of anything live.
Knowledge is Power

Posted Image Member of the Month, April 2007

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:43 AM (#4) User is offline   2PiRaNhA~2FuRrY 

• LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL
  • Group: Members

like lots of people said...stay away from feeder. but i'm some what disagree with it..yes i agree NOT to feed your piranha often, alots, or ever day daily food...

I believe piranha should have feeder once a while....maybe once a month or once in every 2 month for treat. IMO>>
Member of the Month, January 2007Posted Image

• Infatuated

Since joining this site I haven't fed my piranha feeders in quite some time... Their diet now consists primarily of shrimp, pellets, beef heart, and bloodworms. Every now and then I put some tetras or barbs in the tank and they all eventually get eaten, but no goldfish or minnows. I do feel it's kinda cruel to feed them live fish, even though it's a natural occurence in the wild. I do enjoy watching them attack a raw shrimp though. :-)

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:30 AM (#6) User is offline   a-ronn 

• Psychotic

Agreed 100 % anyway great information lots of people ask about live feeders on this site maby this topic should be posted.
s.manuelli 7"
s.eigenmanni 4"
s.elongatus 5"
8 pygo piraya 3-4"

Posted 13 October 2006 - 09:34 AM (#7) User is offline   2PiRaNhA~2FuRrY 

• LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL

i also would like to suggest the thread or topic should be save!....for newbie when they need information any other question regard feeder..  :nod:

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

Soilid Info here! Good topic Mr.Hannibal  :nod:

This post has been edited by Fishking320: 13 October 2006 - 09:35 AM

• Serrasalmus spilopleura

so then what if you quarentine your feeders is it alright to feed them then? ...wouldnt quarentine take away all the diseas's?

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:04 AM (#10) User is offline   C0Rey 

• Pygocentrus piraya

View Postitstheiceman, on Oct 13 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

so then what if you quarentine your feeders is it alright to feed them then? ...wouldnt quarentine take away all the diseas's?

not the internal paracites.

i feed my sanch feeders sometimes. NOT to amuse myself ( he takes them during the night anywhays ), but i feel it increases his life quality. Im well aware of the danger in doing this, but my lfs has, as long as ive shoped there, never had infested fish. if they do notice something they quaranteen the tanks. I will say im beginning to move away from live feedings, cause of the reasons stated by Hanniball, one day you might end up with a dead p.
In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:28 AM (#11) User is offline   2PiRaNhA~2FuRrY 

• LeT gO mY EgGs GRoLL

View PostC0Rey, on Oct 13 2006, 10:04 AM, said:

View Postitstheiceman, on Oct 13 2006, 05:30 PM, said:

not the internal paracites.

i feed my sanch feeders sometimes. NOT to amuse myself ( he takes them during the night anywhays ), but i feel it increases his life quality. Im well aware of the danger in doing this, but my lfs has, as long as ive shoped there, never had infested fish. if they do notice something they quaranteen the tanks. I will say im beginning to move away from live feedings, cause of the reasons stated by Hanniball, one day you might end up with a dead p.

exactly...well said Corey :)

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:34 AM (#12) User is offline   Mr. Hannibal 

• OPEFE
  • View gallery

View Postitstheiceman, on Oct 13 2006, 11:30 AM, said:

It's is less risky but it's always possible feeders still carry unapparental parasites/diseases harmful/fatal to your Ps... personally i prefer not to risk my beloved Ps... anyway it's a matter of personal choice but in my humble opinion at least you should quarantine your fish (live feeders) before feeding your Ps... :p !
Piranhas i have now:
(8) Pygocentrus cariba, (1) Serrasalmus rhombeus, (1) Serrasalmus irritans, (1) Pristobrycon striolatus

Pygocentrus cariba, Serrasalmus rhombeus, Serrasalmus irritans, Serrasalmus eigenmanni, Serrasalmus elongatus, Serrasalmus manueli, Serrasalmus medinai, Serrasalmus neveriensis, Pristobrycon careospinus, Pristobrycon striolatus, Pristobrycon maculipinnis, Pygopristis denticulata, Catoprion mento

Posted ImagePosted Image

• Psychotic

I would just like to ask if feeding the pellets, shrimps etc except feeder fish, is there any way this might affect their aggresiveness?? thanks

i think feeding them "non living" food drops there agression IMO, i feed mine shrimp, and feeders...out of curiosity what live feeders could i feed them IF i chose this route??

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

View Postfish lover, on Oct 13 2006, 12:38 PM, said:

I would just like to ask if feeding the pellets, shrimps etc except feeder fish, is there any way this might affect their aggresiveness?? thanks

are you asking if there is a certain food that will make your P's more agressive?

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:50 AM (#16) User is offline   Mr. Hannibal 

• OPEFE
  • View gallery

As far as i know there are no studies on that issue... personally i believe fish aggression and live feeding are not related... just my opinion anyway... :p !
Piranhas i have now:

Posted ImagePosted Image

yeah, im pretty sure he is, why want so much agression tho...that agression that your looking for may sometime in the future cause you to lose a couple fish IMO

• Infatuated
  • View gallery

Yea or a finger. haha.... Just let your P's be what they are. Theres no need to attempt to make them into something that they're not.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:56 AM (#19) User is offline   C0Rey 

• Pygocentrus piraya

View PostMr. Hannibal, on Oct 13 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

As far as i know there are no studies on that issue... personally i believe fish aggression and live feeding are not related... just my opinion anyway...  :laugh: !

imo agressivenes is realted to shortage of food or dominance over territory.
In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

• Psychotic

thanks.. because i was feeding them pellets and shrimps lately and i noticed that there are less movements and some of my reds skip meals... but last week or so when i fed them black mollies, they were like chasing them, and devouring them in an instant... it seems to me they like feeder fish more than those foods i know that are beneficial to them...

Also, is it okay for them to be fed with crickets and other insects??

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language