Piranha-Fury Forums: Feeding your Aquatic Pets - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Feeding your Aquatic Pets Innes' Guide

Posted 19 August 2003 - 11:56 AM (#1) User is offline   Innes 

• joey'd is da man
  • Group: Senior Member

OK the first thing you need to know about feeding is the type of creature you are needing to feed as their diet and method of eating changes,

Fish:

Most available fish will accept a wide range of foods including processed foods such as flake foods, sinking pellets, freeze dried bloodworm, daphnia, krill, tubifex worms and all of the other fish food tubs available in your local fish shop.

You must beware when using these processed foods that you do not over feed as the uneaten food will pollute the tank and may even kill the fish, so it is a good idea to feed often but in small amounts.

Also you can use frozen foods like frozen bloodworm, again frozen foods should be available in your local fish shop.

Also you can use live foods, now here in the UK it is illegal to use live fish as food, although I personally don't use live fish, some species which are legal to own here require live fish as they will not accept anything else, these species include moray eels, some species of piranhas and some other less common fish.

Other available live foods include bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp.

The advantage in using live bloodworm, daphnia and brine shrimp is that it doesn’t cause tank pollution so you can use as much as you like.

Some fish may also take other foods such as meat particularly beefheart, also worms, insects, seafood such as shrimps and prawns and raw fish.

It is a good idea to provide a variety of fish foods as this will ensure that your fish is getting everything it needs in its diet.

Your fish will have one of 3 types of mouth; it may be upturned like a butterfly fish

Posted Image
*above pic submitted by j_burf

These fish will happily take foods from the waters surface although they will also go in other areas if needed, but for these fish it is a good idea to provide floating foods such as flake foods and freeze dried foods.

Some fish have a mouth which is centred like this piranha

Posted Image
*above pic submitted by Supernate

Fish like this are more suited to collecting food from the middle of the water, although they will go to the surface or the bottom in the search of food.

Some fish have mouths more suited to bottom feeding like this skunk corydoras

Posted Image
*above pic submitted by Innes

Fish like this are suited to finding food on the aquarium floor, they will readily accept sinking foods.

These will sometimes go into the higher levels of the tank in the search for food

Amphibians:

Many amphibians are fully or semi aquatic and these will usually accept the same foods as fish do, and also reptomin.

Some amphibians are terrestrial and these often require live insects like crickets, locusts, and worms.

You should beware adding these insects to the tank you keep your pet in as they can sometimes chew your pet, so what I do when feeding my salamander is I place him in a bucket and add crickets one at a time until my salamander does no longer want to eat them so their is never any crickets in his tank.

Crustaceans:

You can readily buy a few crustaceans for your aquarium including Ghost shrimp, Crayfish and crabs, all of these will happily eat fish food, sinking pellets and pretty much anything I have already talked about in this post, also they may also eat your plants.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImageMember of the Month, March 2003
Posted ImageMember of the Month, April 2004

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 23 August 2003 - 02:04 AM (#2) User is offline   piranha45 

• reasonably awesome
  • Group: Members

cute lizard

• Addicted
  • Group: Awaiting Authorisation

sorry testing this pic