Piranha-Fury Forums: Rena XP-4 Vs. Eheim 2250 - Piranha-Fury Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rena XP-4 Vs. Eheim 2250 Rate Topic: -----

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:14 PM (#1) User is offline   Solice 

• Interested
  • Group: Members

My long term goal is a large Blue Diamond Rhom living in my 125g.
Marine sand substrate, one AC 802 power head and a large piece of driftwood in the center.
I am currently running:

(1)Eheim 2215
(1)Eheim 2217

Both filters are setup w/two stages of mech. and the rest bio media. They are both running well. I wish to add one more filter to this (and perhaps one day drop the smaller Eheim) and I am thinking that I should go with the highest gph rating I can get for the money.

The XP-4 has a higher gph rate according to the advertising I have seen: 450gph "Flow Rate" and 190gph with media.
It holds 3 U.S. gallons of media (11.5 Ltr)

The 2250 advertises a 250gph output but I cannot find if this is with or w/o media.
It holds 12 Liter of media.

I can get either of these guys @ $180.

I have no experiance with the XP filters but so many people on this site speak highly of them that I have no real worries about it. I do however have years of experiance with Eheim (among many other makers) and really do love them over all.
What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Remove Advertisements User is offline   Advertisements 

• Piranha-Fury.com

Posted 14 April 2007 - 03:20 PM (#2) User is offline   Outie 

• Obsessed

You get what you pay for eheim is still top dog among canisters. Don't get me wrong rena makes a good one but eheims are still overall better imo. Renas are cheaper, thats why a lot of members talk about & have them.

Posted 14 April 2007 - 09:39 PM (#3) User is offline   svtcontour 

• Addicted

View PostOutie, on Apr 14 2007, 04:20 PM, said:

You get what you pay for eheim is still top dog among canisters. Don't get me wrong rena makes a good one but eheims are still overall better imo. Renas are cheaper, thats why a lot of members talk about & have them.

I have a 2260 which is a larger version of teh 2250. As far as I am aware of, the 2250 and 60 do not ship with any media nor the quick release connectors. All those will ad a big amount to the price but having said that, I love my 2260. Its a tank. Unfortunatly it is considerably more noisy than the 2217. I'd say its about the same volume as four of them but I guess it does the work of four so its within reason.

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:26 AM (#4) User is offline   wally43 

• Obsessed

i have a eheim not sure what model but i know it does up to 80g tanks and i have it on my 65g which keeps it crystal clear. first canister filter i've had and i love it easy to setup i cleaned it once already and it was as easy as putting it together. so for in the future if i get a bigger tank i'm sticking with eheims i swear by them. i had it going for two weeks to cycle tank which i think is pretty quick so i like em.
24g nano saltwater
65g gettin rdy for reds

Posted 15 April 2007 - 02:46 PM (#5) User is offline   PaNo617 

• Obsessed
  • View gallery

I love my eheim 2217. I have it running on my 75g along with an AC110. The 2217 is dead silent, the only way to tell if it's running is by touching it. It's the way to go if you want a silent aquarium. Very efficient filter and they last forever. Go with eheim :(
10" Compressus | 6" Geryi
Posted Image

Posted 15 April 2007 - 03:24 PM (#6) User is offline   Aaronic 

• Fanatic
  • Current Piranhas: Very cool geryi

I have had an eheim 2213 and 2217 in the past, I thought they were alright. I sold those and got 2 XP4's and I will never go back. There is no bypass with this filter design, it just pumps high flow through 4 huge baskets of media. They are a much better deal, and very reliable and quiet. Definately go with the XP4

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:12 PM (#7) User is offline   svtcontour 

• Addicted

View PostAaronic, on Apr 15 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

I have had an eheim 2213 and 2217 in the past, I thought they were alright. I sold those and got 2 XP4's and I will never go back. There is no bypass with this filter design, it just pumps high flow through 4 huge baskets of media. They are a much better deal, and very reliable and quiet. Definately go with the XP4

Hi Aaronic, I'm not sure but if you can find me a way for water to bypass media in this picture, I'll buy you a coffee :thumbup: ... as far as I can tell the Eheim classics also have no bypass. Water comes in from the bottom and gets pushed through all that stuff and out the top.

Posted Image

View PostSolice, on Apr 14 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

...The 2250 advertises a 250gph output but I cannot find if this is with or w/o media.

I can get either of these guys @ $180...

I found a very nice review of an eheim 2250 for ya. Take a look. Will probably tell you all ou want to know about this filter.

http://www.cloudytan...sters/2250.html

This post has been edited by svtcontour: 15 April 2007 - 10:12 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:32 PM (#8) User is offline   Solice 

• Interested

Thank you everyone for your input.
svtcontour, thank you for that link. It was not only helpfull to look at the supplied images but the testimonial of the user just confirms all that I have learned from experiance and research over the past few years in this hobby.
After exaustive and extensive review I have decided to go with the Eheim.
Now, do I really want the 2250 or do I want the 2260...lol
Im never happy
:clapping:

This post has been edited by Solice: 15 April 2007 - 10:33 PM

Posted 15 April 2007 - 11:36 PM (#9) User is offline   svtcontour 

• Addicted

View PostSolice, on Apr 15 2007, 11:32 PM, said:

Thank you everyone for your input.
svtcontour, thank you for that link. It was not only helpfull to look at the supplied images but the testimonial of the user just confirms all that I have learned from experiance and research over the past few years in this hobby.
After exaustive and extensive review I have decided to go with the Eheim.
Now, do I really want the 2250 or do I want the 2260...lol
Im never happy
:)

Haha well I gotta say, I love my 2260 but I DREAD the time I gotta clean it (about every 3-4 months I do it) because it freaking weighs a TON. I've constructed a little round stand it sits on that has 4 wheels so I can wheel it into the furnace room as my tank is in the basement and thats where I do the cleanings. If I ever thougth I had to move it further, I'd buy a crane. LOL. But all swearing and cursing aside when I do have to move it, I will say I love it more than any filter I could imagine ever buying. Not one part of it looks like a weak link to me.

One thing too, the thumbscrews that bolt the lid down, you dont actually have to use a lot of force on them. About what a 5 year old could deliver is probably good enough. I tighten mine in a star shaped pattern, alternating which one I tighten. Once I fill it up with water, I double check that non was loose.

If you do end up buying the thing (2250 or 60) and need to ask any questions, feel free to ask me.

Posted 17 April 2007 - 12:19 PM (#10) User is offline   Aaronic 

• Fanatic
  • Current Piranhas: Very cool geryi

View Postsvtcontour, on Apr 15 2007, 11:12 PM, said:

View PostAaronic, on Apr 15 2007, 04:24 PM, said:

Hi Aaronic, I'm not sure but if you can find me a way for water to bypass media in this picture, I'll buy you a coffee :) ... as far as I can tell the Eheim classics also have no bypass. Water comes in from the bottom and gets pushed through all that stuff and out the top.

Posted Image

View PostSolice, on Apr 14 2007, 04:14 PM, said:

...The 2250 advertises a 250gph output but I cannot find if this is with or w/o media.

I can get either of these guys @ $180...

I found a very nice review of an eheim 2250 for ya. Take a look. Will probably tell you all ou want to know about this filter.

http://www.cloudytan...sters/2250.html

You are right, there is no by-pass in those eheim models either. The XP4 essentially does the same thing with a higher flow rate, and is much easier to clean. 4 seperate baskets that come right out. Comes with quick release valve, couldn't be easier.

Aaron

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skins by Skinbox

Skin and Language