Piranhas Forum banner

Profile: Cynops Orientalis

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  TimmyTeam 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

*above pics submitted by Innes

Common Names: Chinese Firebelly Newt, Oriental fire-bellied newt, Dwarf Firebelly Newt
Scientific Name: Cynops orientalis
Distribution: Chinese provinces of Kiangsu, Tchekiang, Kiangsi, Nganhouei (Anhwei) Houpe.
Size: Up to 4 inches, usually smaller.
Difficulty: These newts are very hardy and easy to maintain.
Sexing: Males in breeding condition have swollen vent and extended tail tip.
Food: Tubifex worms, night crawler sections, baby snails, daphnia, small insects and regular fish foods.
Housing: These newts do not need much space, they do best in aquariums with a gravel substrate, plenty of plants, some people suggest to have floating cork for them, but I find that given some land area they will sometimes sit out of water for days or weeks and this makes it difficult to feed them.
Water: Use only dechlorinated/dechloramined water, with under gravel or mechanical filtration.
pH: 6.8-7.2
Temperature/Humidity: 58F-68F , this species prefers cooler temperatures.
Lighting: Standard aquarium lighting as for tropical fish is sufficient for these Newts.
Heating: Supplemental heating is not needed for this species, under normal conditions.
Compatibility: suitable to be kept in groups and also with small non-aggressive fish, I have also personally kept them with other newt species and African Dwarf Frogs

This Newt species is most likely the most available species in LFS's and it is often sold as a tropical newt, well this is not the case, although it can withstand tropical temperatures this species prefers much cooler water, the ones that I have owned have readily accepted all kinds of foods, I like to feed them daphnia as it is both good for them and it doesn't pollute the tank.
These newts can be kept in groups and with fish, but beware that is it not unknown for fish to bite them especially when they shed their skin, I guess it is too much of a temptation.
this species of newt is also an escape artist and able to climb up vertical glass sides of the tank, they are well known for escaping, only to be found dried up and dead on the carpet, one of mine has even done this before so I suggest a really tight fitting lid.
I personally keep my 2 Firebelly newts in a goldfish bowl with another newt and 3 neon tetras, this seems to be a suitable set up for them.
I have also had some newts that when given a land area to sit on they have never moved into the water (which is where all the food is) so I ended up having to remove the land area to make the newt go in the water, this got it eating, however this was before I knew they were coldwater and I had them in a heated community tank.
They can re-grow broken limbs, but these are often not perfect when re-grown, and in some cases it is a good idea to cut it back if the break is infected or something so it can grow back better.

*If you have any pics or comments on this species please add them below

heres a handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link
heres another handy link

heres a handy link to last weeks FOTW

See less See more
#5 ·
AWESOME INNES!!! Newts rule. Ive had my Rough skinned newt for a little over a year. He acts like a little Alligator when its feeding time Grabs the worms and shakes em and rolls with em and all. He is mainly aquatic ive given him island and such But he refuses to come out of the water.

#12 ·
timmyshultis said:
i just set up my eclipse system 6 with a fluval 1 in it and some rocks on one side im gunna pile up slat to just above the water and that is gunna serve as the land and im gunna get some real plants...what you think innes ? ? ?
Personally my 2 tips are:
1 - make sure the lid is fullproof, they will escape if there is a gap, they are masters of escape, so beware!!!
2 - if you have land and they sit on it and dont go in the water, remove the land so they have to go in the water as they are way easier to feed, they may swim about like crazy, but they will settle down even if it takes a day or 2.
3 - feed live foods like daphnia as much as possible

#13 ·
ok im done settin up tank on one side is the land it is a pile of slate.And i got a few more plants so u can hardly see any open spaces because all the plants (they like planted aquariums right) and i have a few rocks laying around on the bottom i really like this setup its gotta be one of my favs ive ever had

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.